Effective October 11, 2021, all current and newly hired IDA employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have been granted a medical or religious exemption. Individuals who accept employment with IDA will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated or receive approval for a medical or religious accommodation prior to starting employment.
The Science and Technology Policy Institute (STPI) is a congressionally chartered, Federally Funded Research and Development Center operated by the Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA).
STPI provides independent analytical support to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), the National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other federal departments and agencies on science and technology (S&T) policy issues. The STPI Science Policy Fellowship Program provides recent bachelor’s or master’s degree recipients a unique opportunity to use their critical thinking and analytic skills to work on a diverse set of challenges in S&T policy areas, including space sciences, innovation and competitiveness, energy, health and life sciences, national security, biotechnology, information technologies, and STEM education.
Fellows will work with teams of researchers to support a wide variety of S&T policy-related tasks. Duties may include conducting survey-based and interview-based research, database development, use of data visualization tools, use of statistical techniques, and other qualitative and quantitative methods to perform project-driven policy analysis. Fellows will have an opportunity to work on one independent research project that will contribute to the scientific, technical, or policy literature. Over the course of the two-year program, experiences will include:
- Participation in analyses that support tasking from Federal Government policymakers
- Interaction with OSTP and other Federal science agency personnel
- Involvement in workshops and discussions on relevant topics
- Mentorship from members of the STPI research staff
- Training on specific analytical methods and tools
- Attendance and presentation at select professional society meetings
- This is a full-time position and is only open to recent recipients of a bachelor’s or master’s degree. Candidates with degrees higher than a master’s degree will not be considered.
- Candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree conferred between May 2020 and July 2022.
- Candidates with degrees in engineering, life sciences, physical sciences, social and behavioral sciences, computer science, mathematical sciences, statistics, and learning sciences are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should possess a strong interest in science and technology policy, although previous policy experience is not required.
- Candidates must demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills and will be asked to give a 30-minute presentation on a topic to be assigned during a group interview.
- Ideal candidates are able to contribute to and support team efforts.
To be considered for this fellowship opportunity, interested candidates must follow a two-step process:
- Apply using the link below.
- Submit via email to STPI-Fellow@ida.org the following documents:
- Personal Statement— explain in 1,000 words or less why you want to work in the area of science and technology policy and how your background/experience will contribute to STPI’s work
- Writing Sample—5,000 word maximum
- Transcripts—unofficial transcript is acceptable for consideration, but an official transcript is needed before any offer of employment will be made
- Two Letters of Academic Recommendation—letters must be signed by the individual rendering the reference and delivered as PDF files. Letters can also be sent directly to STPI-Fellow@ida.org by the recommender.
Ensure the application and supporting materials are submitted no later than January 18, 2022.
Successful completion of a criminal background check is required.
U.S. Citizenship is required
The ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1