Predictive analytics is central to how we decide the right messages to send to our customers that will help them with their financial needs at the moments that matter most. As an Associate Data Scientist at Nationwide Building Society, you’ll be supporting the Customer, Brand and Engagement function by utilising advanced analytics to help us develop machine learning models that will provide a uniquely personalised experience for every customer.
With the proliferation of data, and the increased use of AI, automation and transformation is changing the way that marketing operates. In such a fast-paced environment, we are continuously looking to improve how we engage with our customers to provide value to them. We do this by being more data led and using new and innovative techniques.
At Nationwide we offer hybrid working wherever possible. More rewarding relationships are supported through our hybrid approach, bringing colleagues together across our UK wide estate, whilst also supporting generous access to home working. We value our time in the office to solve problems, to learn, and to feel connected.
For this job you’ll spend at least two days per week, or if part time you’ll spend 40% of your working time, at one of our offices. If your application is successful, your hiring manager will provide further details on how this works. You can also find out more about our approach to
This role requires you to travel to our London or Swindon office 2 days a week
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What You’ll Be Doing
Reporting to the Data Science Manager, Advanced Analytics, you will:
- work on every step of the modelling lifecycle, which starts with working with key business stakeholders to understand the business problem;
- be involved with data development, including data extraction, data cleansing and feature engineering;
- develop and validate advanced machine learning models to predict customer outcomes;
- present your work back to key stakeholders, and be part of how to put your models live into production, for Nationwide to benefit from your work;
- provide innovation, using tools and techniques available to you to contribute to a suite of analytics solutions that will increase the usage of data and draw out meaningful insight.
As an Associate Data Scientist, you will have good knowledge of mathematical modelling and advanced analytics techniques to deliver solutions to business problems. In addition to having a passion for data science, you are resourceful and innovative in your approaches to solving problems. Your fresh ideas and innovative thinking will underpin the manner in which Nationwide tackles its most value-driving initiatives by leverage the latest approaches in advanced analytics techniques.
As a Minimum You’ll Have
- a bachelor’s degree in data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science or related field, or equivalent relevant qualification/work experience;
- good working knowledge of developing machine learning models using advanced analytical techniques;
- proficiency in programming languages, SAS and Python preferred;
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills, to understand and interpret business data in a variety of areas;
- effective communication skills to collaborate with team members across the business;
- good presentation skills to bring data science and analytical findings to life.
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight – This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better – This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done – This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career.
- Gympass – Access to a range of free and paid options for health and wellness.
- 25 days holiday, pro rata
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What To Do Next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1