They’re looking for a Risk Data Analyst excited to help build the bank of the future!
At Monzo, they’re growing extremely fast and have over four and a half million customers in the UK, with over 100,000 new people joining every month. You’ll have the opportunity to help them take hold of their risk and control reporting and analysis in 2021 and help them continue to build a bank safely, and in control.
This role will be supporting the Risk & Control Discipline and will focus on building their governance model consistently across all Collectives and helping them identify themes/trends that help them manage day-to-day risks, but also contribute towards their forward-looking risk strategy. You’ll be responsible for working with their Governance & Reporting Lead in identifying key data metrics, setting appropriate thresholds, and providing key stakeholders across the business with self-service dashboards for real-time risk management.
They work in cross-functional squads where every data analyst is a member of a central Data Discipline but will be fully embedded into one area (for this role, it will be embedded within the Risk & Control Discipline, who support risk across all Collectives at Monzo).
Data at Monzo
Their Data team’s mission is to Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits their data platform. They’re great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for the collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. They optimize for simplicity and re-usability – all their data lives in one place and is made available via their data warehouse in Google BigQuery. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the headspace to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
Their technology stack
They Rely Heavily On The Following Tools And Technologies (note They Do Not Expect Applicants To Have Prior Experience Of All Them)
- Google Cloud Platform for all of their analytics infrastructure
- dbt and BigQuery SQL for our data modeling and warehousing
- Python for data science
- Go to write their application code
- AWS for most of their backend infrastructure
As part of your role, you’ll:
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how key metrics and how those insights can inform their risk management & forward-looking strategy
- Translate regulatory reporting requirements into highly accurate data models and set the strategy for how they ensure the best possible data accuracy
- Build robust data models, reports, and visualizations downstream of backend services (mostly in BigQuery SQL) that support internal management information as well as governance and regulatory reporting
- Collect, analyze, and disseminate information and analysis on Incidents, Issues, Actions, Risk Assessments, Control Automation, etc.
- Develop, maintain, and modify data collection strategy and processes to ensure reports are accurate, timely, and relevant
- Identify information and data gaps, create techniques and collation processes to close such gaps
- Support the business with analytical deep dives to identify root causes of incidents, breaches, and issues
What’s special about data at Monzo?
Autonomy. They believe that people reach their full potential when you can remove all the operational obstacles out of their way and let them run with their ideas. This comes together with a strong sense of ownership for your projects. At Monzo, you will get full access to their data and analytics infrastructure. When you discover something interesting, there is nothing stopping you from exploring and implementing your coolest ideas.
Cutting-edge managed infrastructure. All their data infrastructure lives on the Google Cloud Platform, so you don’t need to spend your time configuring or managing clusters, databases, etc. If you want to train a Machine Learning model faster, just spin up a compute engine instance and submit a job from your local machine, no DevOps skills required.
Automation. They aim to automate as much as they can so that every person in the team can focus on the things that humans do best. As with all data science work, there’s some analysis and reporting, and as much as possible they encourage self-serve access to their data through Looker.
You Should Apply If
- What they’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You’re impact driven and eager to have a real positive impact on the company, product, users, and very importantly your colleagues as well
- You’re passionate about risk and using that data to improve & inform business decisions
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as taking a step back and thinking strategically
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You’re a team player whom your colleagues can rely on
- You have a solid grounding in SQL and preferably Python
- You have experience in conducting large scale A/B experiments
Nice to haves:
- You have multiple years of experience in risk analytics, preferably in a fast-moving tech company
- Experience with complex statistical approaches (causal inference, machine learning, Bayesian statistics)
They can help you relocate to London & they can sponsor visas.
They offer share options and competitive salaries based on skills and experience.
Their interview process is normally a phone interview, a take-home task and call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews. They promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for them – if they want to solve problems for people around the world, their team has to represent their customers. So they need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on their blog.
Questions about this role? Head over to their careers page to read our FAQs ( www.monzo.com/careers )
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1