The Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team is a global engineering organization that works directly with customers looking to leverage the latest technologies to address their toughest problems and transform their industries using cloud-based solutions. They sit side-by-side with our customers to collaboratively innovate custom solutions tailored to their business needs. In the process, they help shape the future of their own platforms by partnering with their product groups to improve them. They pride themselves on making contributions to open source and make their platforms easier to adopt. Their work involves the development of high-impact software assets that contribute to the Microsoft platform that are broadly applicable.
They are looking for a Data and Applied Scientist II with strong analytical and development skills to join their expanding team. The ideal candidate has a good foundation in machine learning and is passionate about creating business value through building robust and performant cloud-based solutions infused with AI. They should be comfortable with the end-to-end ML/AI solutions development process, starting from understanding the customer business problem and ending with production implementation of machine learning pipelines. Don’t worry, they will never ask you to implement the entire ML system all by yourself. They will, however, expect you to be able to contribute to any of its parts. They don’t develop awesome models to see them wilt and die in a Jupyter notebook on someone’s laptop. Instead, they nurture them into production via a fully reproducible continuous delivery process reinforced by a battery of full lifecycle tests.
As a group, they work to build consensus with their teammates and customers. They’re looking for the sort of person who enjoys a culture that ensures that all voices and perspectives are heard and considered. Above all they want you to be inspired, and inspire others, by the potential of the future.
- Developing and deploying solutions with some of Microsoft’s largest customers for solving business problems using a machine (deep) learning and predictive modeling techniques.
- End-to-end execution of the ML/AI solution development process: from understanding business requirements, data discovery and extraction, model development and evaluation, to production pipeline implementation.
- Providing technical recommendations in open source and Microsoft AI and Data technologies, ranging from helping their product teams understand product and technology gaps, through to navigating their customers to the right technology choices for their business.
They are seeking people who have experiences that reflect the qualifications below:
- 2+ years of industry experience with machine learning algorithms for at least one of the following: classification, regression, clustering, reinforcement learning, dimensionality reduction. Expertise in one or more application domains of NLP, computer vision, time series modeling, including some knowledge of the concepts of taking projects to scale in the cloud.
- 2+ years of experience in research and development of end-to-end ML/AI-based solutions and systems.
- Skilled in one of the following programming languages Python, Java, C#, C++.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience with Numpy, Pandas, Scikit-learn. Most of their work uses Python ML stack.
- Experience with agile development practices and Git. They build reproducible systems.
- Experience with one or more of the DNN frameworks like TensorFlow or PyTorch. Many of their projects involve deep learning models.
- Ability to communicate in business and technical settings. They need to be able to build models and explain to others how and why they work.
- Some experience with Spark, SQL, Graph stores, or NoSQL stores would be helpful. Many of their customers have a lot of data.
- MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Operations Research or equivalent technical field.
- Enjoy travel and comfortable with regional travel up to 20%. They meet customers where they are, both technically and geographically. (Nobody is expected to travel for business until the COVID-19 pandemic is under control.)
- This position can be based in Boston (Cambridge) or NYC.
At Microsoft, they are seeking people who have a passion for the positive impact technology can have on communities and for making a difference in the world. Within CSE, you will find a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and personal and cultural experiences which are vital to their success with their customers. It’s an informal and flexible work environment and you’ll be welcome to work from home, their offices, customer sites- wherever is best for you to get your job done. They invest in your health, wellness, and financial future by offering a competitive package including a wide range of benefits built around your personal needs and those close to you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
The benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1