Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Colocation Engineer with a Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering background in mission-critical facilities design, field, or operational engineering experience to become part of a global team that is responsible for performing availability and performance audits of their Colocation data centers. As engineers at Amazon, they are responsible for achieving a world-class uptime for their customers so they need to ensure that their Colocation data centers have resilient designs, cost-effective systems, and an industry-leading operational management program. As one of their Colocation Field Engineers, you will work directly with the engineering and/or operations teams for the Colocation data centers within your assigned region to drive continuous advancements and improvements within their designs and operations. They will look to you for identifying availability risks than to provide suggestions for improving the availability/costs/performance/simplicity of the equipment/system designs and operational readiness programs. This will include reviewing existing designs and contributing your field experience to collaborate with the other peer engineering teams to develop approved remediation plans for any issues found in the field. Amazon has a global presence, therefore, domestic and international travel will be necessary. Teamwork is absolutely necessary for them to accomplish their goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required tasks. This includes working with internal groups as well as external suppliers and consultants, including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
If you have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for large infrastructure mission-critical sites and equipment; especially data centers, and understand the constructability and maintainability of varying designs, you may be a good fit.
The Colocation Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Understanding the design and functionality of the data centers within your assigned region(s)
- Traveling to different data center regions to conduct engineering evaluations of critical infrastructure designs, equipment performance, equipment settings, and commissioning results
- Interpreting/evaluating Single Line Drawings (SLD), as-built drawings, equipment submittals, equipment specifications documentation, and performance data
- Creating detailed audit reports along with identifying solutions to remediate any immediate threats to their operations
- Leading internal teams to conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA), developing Corrective Action (CA) solutions/plans for design gaps and performance-related problems, and reporting status of implementations
- Collaborating with Design and Commissioning Engineers to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical/mechanical systems per the design intent; then using this data to calibrate our performance models
- Reporting results of audits to Operations and Engineering teams
- Working on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions
- Being a leader within the group as well as within other teams
- Being positive and always offer creative, out of the box solutions
- Having fun and working hard!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with leading MEP designs and/or complex root cause analyses in industrial or commercial in Mission Critical facilities combined with 1+ years of performing due diligence, design gap analysis, and/or operational performance audits of Mission Critical facilities
- 5+ years of continuous operating redundant cooling, electrical systems, water and air distribution systems, airflow containment systems, and building management systems. This includes but is not limited to: uninterruptable power sources, diesel generators, MV and LV electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, automatic/static transfer switches, chillers [air-cooled and water-cooled], pumps, cooling towers, heat exchangers, air handlers, air economizers, etc.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years of direct experience with the design, construction, operation, or maintenance of mission-critical data centers
- Licensed Professional Engineer (for US-Based positions)
- Experience with developing solutions and executing plans on fast track design/build projects and/or multiple significant upgrade projects
- Experience with commissioning and/or performance testing of critical infrastructure and the associated control systems for mission-critical environments
- System Matter Expert level of understanding of both mechanical and electrical equipment/design related to data centers
- Good working knowledge of electrical system protection and co-ordination schemes
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, IBC, NFPA, NEC, ASHRAE, and OSHA
- Possess excellent attention to detail and communication skills in order to maintain high-quality standards for being organized, setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and staying within budgets
- Possess leadership and problem-solving skills
- LEAN Engineering experience or certifications
- ISO9001 or similar certifications
- Uptime Institute Tier or Operational Sustainability Accredited Specialists Certification
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, they will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1