Are you skilled in identifying how data could be translated into compelling storing and useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with a creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world’s most respected and innovative payments companies.
The Global Data Science group works with internal business teams, their key issuing banks, and merchants to drive value from Visa’s unique global data assets. Their Data and Technology teams are critical partners of the Data Science community at Visa.
As a manager within their Data Engineering and Technology group, you will be responsible for helping drive critical technology initiatives that help Data Scientists become successful. These involve managing large and complex programs to build and enhance Visa’s infrastructure. You will support the Data Science team in finding the right toolset for the right workloads, optimization of jobs and generally driving an engineering mindset on the team. You will get the chance to leverage your strategic planning, business analysis and technical knowledge of big data and data mining techniques as well as how to transfer data across various systems for both internal and external clients.
Based on deep understanding and knowledge of big-data engineering techniques, you will develop and maintain data and tools to enable data scientists to draw fact-based insights and build models in an efficient manner. This function is critical in building market-relevant client solutions and intellectual property for Visa.
In order for you to succeed you’ll need to have excellent communication and cross-group collaboration skills, be able to make forward progress despite ambiguous circumstances, be a self-starter, a quick learner of new technologies and have experience in Data Platform engineering team to maintain Data Quality and Integrity. You will also produce documentation and lead training sessions for certain datasets and tools.
The position will be based at Visa’s headquarters in Foster City, California.
- Provide leadership and support in identifying, implementing and managing new data tools and processes, relevant to data science.
- Provide technical product and business support for the development of new platforms, tools for data science built using both on-prem and cloud technologies.
- Partner with Technology on quarterly planning cycle and support management with relevant metrics to evaluate performance, stability and reliability of various tools.
- Continuous focus on improving Infrastructure efficiency by analyzing logs of queries, tuning settings, translating queries if required. Script review for best practices, educating user base and building training assets for beginner and intermediate users.
- Policy guidance and administration of data science tools including git, ETL schedulers, Spark, etc. to ensure optimum utilization and efficiency.
- Management of file transfer applications to optimize the data ingestion and sharing processes with partners for sensitive data.
- Organizing data sets to optimize run time of routine queries. If required building infrastructure to support such a vision.
- Increase the consistency of tool usage by developing guidance for standard toolsets for specific data science applications and sharing with the user community.
- Tracking Issues at their respective geographic locations to provide data scientists support in their time zones. Also providing information on resolution or workaround provided for similar issues.
4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a Ph.D. degree
7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a Ph.D.
Business Skills And General Qualities
- Ability to understand the business requirements of the data science business.
- Ability to translate data and technical concepts into requirements documents, business cases and user stories.
- Good understanding of agile working practices and related program management skills.
- Good communication and presentation skills with the ability to interact with different cross-functional team members at varying levels
- Ability to learn new tools and paradigms as data science continues to evolve at Visa and elsewhere.
- Demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigor, Team-oriented, energetic, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible style.
- Intellectually curious and continuously striving to learn.
- Expertise in software development with one or more general-purpose programming languages.
- The technical architecture of big data systems (specifically Hadoop and AWS components) along with real-world experience in using Hadoop.
- Functional ability to test datasets for completeness and integrity using big-data analytics tools.
- Experience with SQL for extracting and aggregating data.
- Demonstrable competence developing reliable production data pipelines, preferably using Spark in a big data environment.
- Experience with Unix/Shell or Python scripting, SFTP, scheduling is a plus.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0-5% of the time.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1