At John Hancock, data scientists work collaboratively with data and machine learning engineers, IT, and subject matter authorities to create analytical models and data architectures to solve the most pressing business problems. Working within a modern MLOps framework, data scientists are constantly delivering value by deploying their solutions in cloud-based production environments.
The data scientist is accountable for delivering business value with data by focusing on key corporate objectives, including portfolio optimization, expense efficiency, growth acceleration, digital customer leadership, fraud detection, and high-performance of the team. The data scientist is a business value enabler bridging between data assets, technology, and business expertise. The data scientist is responsible for designing, building, and deploying business interpretable and performant analytics solutions and applications. The data scientist works closely with data and machine learning engineers to deploy systematic, modular, and scalable, self-service capabilities to continuously increase the capacity of the advanced analytics team to deliver value. The data scientist leverages and shares their deep knowledge of, and experience with, a wide variety of data analytics practices and methods. The data scientist helps others to improve their knowledge and understanding of the use of data and technology.
Bridging between data assets, technology, and business expertise
- Collaborate shoulder-to-shoulder with business experts.
- Understand the business, the associated processes, systems & data environment.
- Research, explore, and experiment with data driven business ideas.
- Research & leverage published material to gain a comprehensive understanding of data science practices and methods.
Designing and building business interpretable and performant analytics solutions
- Develop and implement data analytics enabled solutions to improve and re-imagine business process, to generate insights, and support strategy development.
- Work on problems of diverse scope and complexity requiring the in-depth analysis of data.
- Quickly develop enough business insight to connect data sources across multiple diverse and complex systems.
- Generate relevant, actionable insights based on iterative data analysis, translating data-driven output into business language, and making appropriate recommendations to business partners.
- Work closely with business teams and data science engineers to collaboratively build and deliver rich data content for analysis.
- Deploy rich data and analytics content in business applications.
- Understand how the analysis of data impacts a broader business strategy, including the core drivers of business value.
- Prepare cases on the benefits of the analytics work.
Elevate data and analytics skills in the business
- Help business partners better understand the use of data, drawing on a thorough understanding of and experience with data analytics and predictive modeling.
- Identify and guide natural data champions in the business to enhance the profitable use of data.
- Learn salient business concepts from data champions and enable them to creatively use data assets.
What motivates you?
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit.
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile approach and enable business outcomes.
- You thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
What we are looking for
- Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
- Knowledge and expertise with SQL with Oracle, MySQL, and Relational Databases
- Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming languages, as well as with R, SAS, MATLAB, Python, Julia or similar languages
- 2+ years of experience working in data science in a consumer product company working with Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, Applied Scientists, or equivalent fields
- A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
- Practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, NLP, statistics, experimental design, deep learning, recommendation systems,
- Knowledge and experience in network and graph based analytics techniques including graph databases
- Functional knowledge of Azure Cloud Platform such as Azure ML and Data Factory
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey thorough mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
- Excited about working in a diverse group and contributing to an inclusive culture.
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture: We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity: We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation: We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship: We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today.
Company: John Hancock Life Insurance Company (U.S.A.)
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1