At Heron, data science is at the core of what we do. We ingest transactions from businesses all over the world, and we leverage our data lake (transactions, categories, metrics, etc.) through exploration, analysis, statistical modeling, and machine learning to create business value and product decisions. On average, we process over 90M transactions every month from 20,000 businesses worldwide.
The Data Science team is responsible for transforming our data into insights that can be used to inform product and business decisions. The team is also responsible for improving our machine learning classification models used by our 110+ customers every day, improving the conversion of prospects in trials through data science support, and prototyping and testing new features that will have an impact on our business.
We are looking for a passionate and driven Data Scientist to join our team and help us drive multiple projects that are crucial to our customers. You will be the first hire in the Data Science team and the closest person to our data lake, and you will be responsible for improving our classification system used by our customers, supporting the data science component of our trials to improve conversion (prospect to paying customer) and prototyping new features that will go into our product.
We believe in the power of data science to drive product decisions and are looking for someone who shares that vision and will bring their insights and recommendations to create an impact.
What we’re looking for
This role is ideal for someone with a data science background and experience in machine learning.
Above all else, we value people who have a growth mindset, who want to make an impact in their work and are not afraid to own business outcomes. We list below some thoughts on the responsibilities that an ideal candidate will grow into, and we don’t expect you to be experienced in all the below before applying / joining. If in doubt, reach out to us!
- Strong data science background
- You have made a business impact through data science.
- You’re able to communicate results clearly and show the impact they can have on a product
- You enjoy analysing a large amount of data, building models and solving problems.
- Ideal skills: Python, SQL, PyTorch & experience with machine learning.
- Ownership & care about customer impact
- You’re fact-driven and measure the real impact of your work
- You’re not afraid of diving deep into the data if that needs to be done
- You’re independent, and are able to organise your work and define what has to be achieved to reach a certain goal without tight supervision
- Work in a fast-paced, high-growth, team-based environment
- You’re entrepreneurial. This means having a growth mindset, finding problems without being told about them, thinking independently about issues and clearly advocating your position, and taking full ownership of your work, even if things go wrong
- You’re a team player. You value diversity & inclusion in the workplace and are a helpful teammate.
- 25 holidays a year, plus an extra one on your birthday 🥳
- Thursday company lunches (always vegan-friendly!)
- Top-of-the-line equipment
- Twice-yearly company retreats to different UK destinations (Brighton and Bath so far!)
- Free mental health support via Spill
- Flexible work from home policy
- Remote December: we go remote for 6 weeks in Dec/Jan to facilitate long home visits or other extensive yearly travel
- Private health insurance through Vitality
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Applicants from any location, background, and gender are welcome and we have a zero tolerance policy on discrimination
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1