Data Scientist – 34012
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
The Data Scientist’s primary responsibility in the Radio, Sampling department is to maintain market and service level benchmarks for Nielsen’s Radio Diary survey and PPM panel. In order to exceed Radio client expectations and deliver high quality standards, the Data Scientist will work as part of a team to perform many routine and ad hoc functions. These tasks include generating insights from data analysis, forecasting performance and benchmark attainment, developing system enhancements, procedural maintenance, supporting survey methodology enhancements, and supporting internal and external ad-hoc requests.
Job Responsibilities (List the major responsibilities/outcomes expected of this role)
- Works as an integral member of the Radio Sampling team in a time-critical production environment.
- Responsible for a set of recurring operational tasks, for meeting stringent methodological requirements and meeting the highest of customer expectations.
- Conducts tactical or strategic analyses to address business and customer opportunities.
- Develops and implements data mining solutions to leverage big data from internal and external sources.
- Develops and implements machine learning solutions to improve sample acquisition and planning processes.
- Develops and implements rate forecast models to be used in a production environment for sample ordering and selection.
- Utilizes tools such as Python, Tableau, SAS, etc. to perform complex data analysis, develop tools for automating procedures, and create visualizations to deliver insights into survey performance.
- Maintains and updates documented departmental procedures, checklists and metrics comprehensively and on a timely basis.
- Queries data from large relational databases for various analyses and/or requests, using SQL.
- Designs tools to better plan, predict and monitor sample performance at the survey and/or market level.
- Serves on various interdepartmental teams seeking to propose, evaluate and implement new initiatives, raise sample rates, and work on other critical projects.
- Implements prevention and detection controls to ensure data integrity.
- Works closely with internal customers and IT personnel to improve current processes and engineer new methods. This includes support with writing new software, testing and end-user requirements.
- Detects, troubleshoots, and resolves data or system anomalies to support uninterrupted production.
- May work directly with sample vendors to acquire sample.
Role Requirements E=essential, P=preferred.
- E- Undergraduate or graduate degree in mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, economics, business or fields that employ rigorous data analysis.
- E- Strong verbal, presentation, and written skills
- E- Strong critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- E- Strong planning and organizational skills
- E- Familiarity with scripting languages (i.e. Python, R, Scala, .NET, VBA, JAVA etc.)
- E- Familiarity with SQL, Oracle or other relational database software including manipulation of large data sets
- E- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word) and/or Google Office Apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Gmail)
- E- Familiarity with BI, Spotfire, Tableau or other data visualization software and techniques
- P – 3+ years’ experience in at least one of the following fields: data science, data analysis, engineering, accounting, business administration/operations, consulting, finance, logistics/supply chain, management information systems, or operations management/research
- P- Proficiency in Python coding including experience with SciPy, NumPy, & Panda packages
- P- Knowledge of Atlassian suite of software including Bitbucket, Confluence, Jira, Hipchat, Crucible and Fisheye
- P- Knowledge of Apache Spark ecosystem, Databricks, and AWS
- P- Knowledge of statistical tests and procedures such as ANOVA, Chi-squared, Correlation, Regression, Student t-test, and Time Series
- P- Knowledge of survey sampling methodologies and data collection techniques
- P- Knowledge of machine learning and data modeling techniques such as Decision Trees, Random Forests, SVM, Neural Networks, Incremental Response Modeling, and Credit Scoring
- P- Knowledge of SAS Programming, and/or SAS Enterprise Guide, Enterprise Miner, or Forecast Server
- P- Knowledge of process improvement methodologies such as Lean and/or Six Sigma
- P- Demonstrated success and effectiveness working in a time-critical production environment
Nielsen Holdings plc (NYSE: NLSN) is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Our approach marries proprietary Nielsen data with other data sources to help clients around the world understand what’s happening now, what’s happening next, and how to best act on this knowledge. For more than 90 years Nielsen has provided data and analytics based on scientific rigor and innovation,continually developing new ways to answer the most important questions facing the media, advertising, retail and fast-moving consumer goods industries. An S&P 500 company, Nielsen has operations in over 100countries, covering more than 90% of the world’s population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com .
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Regular
Primary Location: Columbia , Maryland
Secondary Locations: , , ,
Travel: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Market Research
- Management Consulting
- Information Technology
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1