They’re looking for a Data Warehouse Engineer to join their brand new Data Warehouse team.
Their Data Warehouse team works in the intersection between data, engineering, and their collectives – Money, Borrowing, Operations, and Financial Crime and beyond. The team is responsible for building downstream data models from backend services with the desire to make their Data Warehouse a genuine competitive advantage for Monzo. They want a team capable of building an amazing Data Warehouse to support decision making, Business Intelligence, key financial reconciliation processes, and best in class analytics and Data Science.
You’ll be an individual contributor in their Data Warehouse Engineering team, working across a variety of projects to spot patterns in the way they build their Data Warehouse. You’ll help them minimize their cloud costs, drive best practices across all of their Data disciplines, and scale and automate their data governance.
Data At Monzo
Their Data team’s mission is to Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits their data platform. They’re great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for the collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. They optimize for simplicity and re-usability – all their data lives in one place and is made available via their data warehouse in Google BigQuery. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the headspace to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
Their Technology Stack
They Rely Heavily On The Following Tools And Technologies (note We Do Not Expect Applicants To Have Prior Experience Of All Them)
- Google Cloud Platform for all of their analytics infrastructure
- dbt and BigQuery SQL for our data modeling and warehousing
- Python for data science
- Go to write their application code
- AWS for most of their backend infrastructure
- Drive best practices for their Data Warehouse – payload design, logical data modeling, implementation, metadata, and testing standards.
- Own cost optimization of their Data Warehouse, spotting opportunities to refactor to reduce the cost of their batch jobs
- Support the building of robust data models downstream of backend services (mostly in BigQuery SQL) that support internal management information as well as financial/regulatory reporting
- Scale a Monzo wide approach to data contracts between their services and data warehouses
- Investigate and effectively work with colleagues from other disciplines to address and improve data quality
- Drive the thinking on a scalable approach to prioritize data governance issues
You Should Apply If
- You have experience and a passion for data warehousing, big data, and ETL projects as a designer or architect
- SQL is second nature to you
- You are an expert with general data warehousing concepts
- You have experience teaching and training others
- You’ve worked on a wide range of Data Warehouse problems – supporting Machine Learning, regulatory reporting, Business Intelligence, and financial reporting projects
- You have experience building robust and reliable data sets requiring a high level of control
- You strive for improvement in your work and that of others, proactively identifying issues and opportunities
Nice To Haves
- Experience working within a finance function
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Knowledge of accounting / ERP systems and principles (e.g. NetSuite, Oracle EBS, SAP)
- Knowledge of regulatory reporting and treasury operations in retail banking
- Experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, Scala…)
- Working knowledge of Python, Airflow, and dbt
- Used to AGILE ways of working (Kanban, Scrum) tracked in JIRA or Trello
- This role will be remote until they open their London office again.
- They can help you relocate to London & they can sponsor visas.
- They offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion are a priority for them – if they want to solve problems for people around the world, their team has to represent their customers. So they need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on their blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we’ll make this happen whenever they can – whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
- The application process consists of a 30-min phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise, and 2-3 on-site interviews remotely via hangouts. They promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with them. This is integral to their mission of making money work for everyone.
They’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status, or disability status.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1