The Liberty Mutual US Technology Information Management (IM) team is seeking a passionate data practitioner and leader as Director, Big Data Strategy, Design and Emerging Technology with depth in designing a holistic and effective data ecosystem, including enabling the platform and solutions teams’ successful deployment of Data Lake, Data Warehouse, Data Science/Advanced Analytics and Cloud technologies. This individual will work within the Information Management group within Global Retail Markets (GRM) US Technology. This role will report to the VP & Senior Director for Information Management within GRM US.
This data technology expert and leader will be responsible for plotting a new holistic data strategy and architecture, including design standards/patterns, to transform Liberty Mutual’s big data environments into a highly valued business asset supporting the dynamic data science and analytics needs of the future, leveraging appropriate data platforms and technologies. This team is the “glue” that will ensure quality data solutions are implemented for Liberty Mutual business. This role will be central to implementation of a GRM strategic initiative called “Data Transformation” and will include plotting the strategy (with the business) to simplify data environments, data integration, data science and build-out of a traditional Data Lake. This strong leader will manage a team of senior data technologists, designers and data modelers charged with providing designs and oversight to ensure consistent application across Information Management’s data solutions. The team will also include a small team of emerging technologists working on incubation and development of proactive data technologies and products which can later be operationalized. This leader will partner closely with the business team’s Data Office leaders and IM Solution teams to ensure solutions meet business needs and designs are consistently applied across aligned platforms, technologies and designs which meet the future needs of the business. The team will partner and guide IT enterprise information/data architects, who will be matrixed to this role.
What does this role entail?
- Implement business and IT vision through creation of new data strategy and designs to span all data platforms (relational, NoSQL) and data tools (Data Visualization, Data Catalog, Data Virtualization and Advanced Analytics/Data Science).
- Create repeatable and process-oriented data designs and patterns, architecture and strategies to support mission critical business needs.
- Working with Architects, responsible for implementing an as-is, to-be and interim data strategy to support Liberty Mutual’s data needs and platform / data integration transformation.
- Ability to develop business and IM aligned detailed plans to lead the team on transition from current state architecture to interim and then future state.
- Monitor and provide oversight to ensure solutions implemented across IM Business Solutions team are meeting design standards for quality, scalability, data retention, extensibility, performance and data refresh.
- Build a small team of exploration technologist who test and learn new technologies, working with IT enterprise data architects.
- Develop a data modeling and cataloging strategy and manage the data models / definitions centrally, working closely with Data Office stewards.
- Build an exciting technology team with a fun work environment and culture
- Lead and guide the team to be the design leads documenting designs and clearly communicating those to engineers and the business, and completing design reviews on data solutions.
- Anticipates and manages technology evolution and relates it to business solutions. Sets direction based on alignment to business and overall technology standards.
- Determines and manages staffing strategy, hiring plan and plan consistent with the needs of the department. Ensures decisions related to hiring, firing and promotions are executed.
- Defines individual performance objectives and development plans and ensures alignment with project and department objectives.
- Appraises and evaluates department and individual performance and makes compensation recommendations; oversees the appraisal process.
- Initiates and fosters business partnerships with current and potential clients, vendors, IT executives, and senior business executives; develops relationships that promote trust and increase efficiency and effectiveness; balances individual client needs with business priorities assuring alignment with the business strategies and objectives.
- Establishes financial plan for department and manages to plan; ensures project financial plans are met by managers in department. Jointly establishes financial targets with business partners.
- Oversees the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; oversees operating plan and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment; acts based on changed priorities.
- Formulates and executes process and organizational improvement direction and programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seeks ways to improve human resource and other management processes. Understands business process, issues/problems and applies appropriate IT standards and solutions.
- Develops and maintains a network of industry contacts; performs or directs research on industry trends, competitors, business and IT products; analyzes trends and makes strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in technical or business discipline or related experience; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ten (10) or more years hands-on big data, data warehouse and/or analytic experience (using RDBMS and NoSQL data platform technologies and ETL and Data Ingestion protocols).
- Five (5) or more years people leadership experience.
- Experience as Architecture leader for a data warehouse and/or data lake teams required.
- Deep understanding of metadata management, data modeling, data catalog and related tools (Erwin or ER Studio, Alation) required
- In-depth knowledge of project planning methodologies, IT standards and guidelines.
- Customer/business focus with ability to negotiate, facilitate and build consensus.
- Ability to promote a team environment consisting of several teams.
- Strong team management, organizational, communication and presentation skills
- Experience in Data Science and Advanced Analytic tools (R, Python and/or SAS) preferred.
- Experience with Data Virtualization over relational and non-relational sources, preferred.
- Working knowledge of Agile development methodologies preferred.
- Experience with Data Quality Management preferred.
- Vendor management skills a plus.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, it’s our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
- Business Development
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1