Who They Are
One third of the world’s food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, and greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry and an even bigger one for the planet. But they believe the solution is simple.
What if they could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply and demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics and real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, and enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain. By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, they enable their partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, and the planet they all call home.
They’re tackling some of the world’s biggest problems, and they need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, they’d love to meet you
What You’ll Do
As a Director of Data Science you are responsible for the full end-to-end lifecycle — from concept to production service — for critical predictive services and products. You will be responsible for architecting the services, building and iterating on models, establishing data pipelines, building reporting and monitoring infrastructure, and in general driving the E2E quality.
This is a cross functional leadership role, with accountability for both data science and data engineering. Successful candidates will have practical experience shipping E2E applications powered by AI/ML services, with several production services ‘under your belt’ to point to. You have a strong understanding of model selection, interpretation of model metrics, generalization, data pipelines, science architecture, with strong intuition about what model to use when, and what the impact of a metric can have on a business. Your experience extends both to building new services from the ground up and scaling production services. Extra credit for familiarity with A/B testing and infrastructure, current developments in AI/ML, kubernetes, and cloud services.
Strong candidates will have a track record of mentorship and development, as well as demonstrated capacity to attract and retain talent. You bring experience in integrating multiple applications from SaaS offerings to on-prem installations to take Zume’s product deliverables to the next level of efficiency, capability, and operational excellence.
Experience And Skills
- Practical experience with machine learning methods, common cloud based data analysis tools and frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, SQL, R, etc)
- Extensive experience with ML development in Python
- Experience with a modern ML framework such as Tensorflow or Torch
- Experience with ML cloud services on Google, AWS or Azure
- Practical understanding of building, cleaning and operationalizing data sets
- Strong mathematical and statistical background.
- Experience with startups a plus. Experience at large companies and start-up a big plus
- Ability to achieve operational excellence by instilling a data-driven mentality across the organization.
- Developing operational metrics and KPIs that are meaningful to the business and ensure successful business outcomes.
- Solid background providing technical acumen and leadership in a highly scalable environment.
- Grow, mentor, and lead teams in an agile environment.
- Empower team to have the maximum impact on Zume’s roadmap and goals.
Minimum education requirement for the position offered
- Advanced Degree in CS, Applied Math, Statistics, or other scientific field
- Track record of continuous development and remaining current in a rapidly changing field
What They Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for you and 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Daily catered lunch
- Dog friendly office
- Free and discounted pizza!
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers and innovators
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, they will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1