Intern, Data Science – 33198
Data Science – USA Columbia, Maryland
The Nielsen Company is the world’s leading provider of global marketing information, consumer insights, business media products, and services. The mission of Nielsen is to provide clients with the most complete understanding of consumers and markets worldwide. We have two major businesses, one focused on what consumers listen to and watch and the other on what they buy in over 95 countries. The dynamic nature of how people now watch TV, listen to radio, use the Internet, and purchase products makes Nielsen an exciting place to be. Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our research projects have high visibility in directly affecting the results of our business and our clients. This position is in the Audio Behavioral Methods team within Nielsen’s Global Data Science organization. The Behavioral Methods team provides leadership and expertise across Nielsen to develop innovative, statistically sound, and cost effective research methodologies in support of business strategy for our media consumption products. We play a pivotal role in turning powerful analytics into actionable insights. SUMMARY OF ASSIGNMENT The intern will assist with Behavioral Research projects, with a focus on automating processes and manipulating data sets with Python (minimum of pandas, numpy). This role will focus almost entirely on computational problem solving to address measurement challenges. This may include but will not be limited to automation, machine learning, data mining, predictive modeling, and statistical analysis. The ideal candidate will be proficient coding in Python and comfortable using Python to help translate code from other languages (R, SAS, SQL). Additionally, the candidate will develop innovative techniques to increase speed and efficiency of data analysis, and provide support for other automation projects. The intern will also be responsible for writing code to automate deliverables (e.g., Google Slides deck). Finally, the intern will participate in Nielsen’s online or on-site training courses and become familiar with Behavioral Methods and its role within Nielsen.
- Strong Python skills
- Familiarity with Spyder, JupyterNotebook, or similar program
- Experience with quantitative analysis (e.g., ANOVA, mixed method designs)
- Experience with automation
- Willingness to learn and move fast
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree in Data Science, Statistics, Social Science (Quantitative focus) or similar
- SQL experience
- Experience with predictive modeling
- Background in experimental design
- Ability to interpret statistical output (e.g., main effects and interactions in ANOVA)
- Python Expertise
- Provide direct support for automating processes in Python to improve efficiency
- Interpret, synthesize and summarize information, including quantitative data
- Utilize attention to detail when translating, coordinating, or designing programs.
- Project Management
- Develop efficient project plan with task assignment and detailed timeline.
- Develop multiple-task management and time management skills.
- Be able to confront issues and challenges that occur on projects and work with team members to come up with solutions.
- Business Communication
- Construct clear and concise messages and have proactive communication with internal/external teams.
- Provide project status updates to project manager about key accomplishments, potential project risks pertaining to timeline, and deliverables.
- Contribute to final written research/study reports.
- Enhance presentation skills for public speaking or business settings.
- Business Communication
Nielsen N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen’s Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Total Audience measurement services across all devices where content — video, audio, and text — is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry’s only global view of retail performance measurement.
By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other data sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90 percent of the world’s population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
Job Type: Internship
Primary Location: Columbia , Maryland
Secondary Locations: , , ,
- Market Research
- Management Consulting
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1