Founded in 2015, Even Financial is a B2B2C fintech company that is transforming the way financial institutions find and connect with consumers. By seamlessly connecting financial institutions (including American Express, Goldman Sachs, and SoFi) and channel partners (such as TransUnion, The Smart Wallet, and The Penny Hoarder) via its industry-leading API, Even turns any consumer touchpoint into an ROI-driven, programmatic acquisition source with full compliance and security across loans, savings, credit cards, and more. Even is backed by leading VCs and financial services firms including American Express Ventures, Citi Ventures, F-Prime Capital (Fidelity), Goldman Sachs, LendingClub, and MassMutual Ventures.
Even strives to foster an environment whereby all employees, across all functions and levels, are positioned for maximum personal and professional growth. They as a team have an ownership mentality, and everyone is all in to help Even achieve their vision and reach their enormous potential. Their values include being empowered (take initiative – don’t wait around for someone to tell you what to do), empirical (explore and iterate, relying on observation and experience), transparent (be helpful, straightforward and honest with customers and coworkers), and fearless (take bold risks and commit to a solutions-oriented approach).
They are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join the Data Science team. You will help mentor team members and drive data science excellence at Even, and will support the inception, enhancement, development and implementation of new and existing data science models. In this role, you will be responsible for the day to day management of the Data Science team at Even, and your primary responsibility will be the technical management of the team, while also participating as an individual contributor to move projects through the finish line.
Some Of The Questions They Explore Are
- How can they best prioritize financial product offers for each consumer they see?
- How can they integrate with third party data sources to enhance their recommendation models?
- How can they best mix active and passive signals to maximize click through rates?
- How do they optimize against the different data flows we have, given their open API?
- How do they build a strong data science process that effectively documents, experiments with and monitors model performance?
Day To Day
- Serve as the team lead and provides day-to-day technical management of the team
- Jumps in as an individual contributor where necessary to increase velocity on a project to move it towards completion
- Works with the business team to translate business needs and goals into technical deliverables by the team.
- Oversees projects, develops technical roadmaps, and provides mentorship and course correction for the team in accomplishing initiatives. Consistently sets expectations with cross-functional stakeholders on progress and timelines.
- Develops an onboarding and ongoing development/mentorship program with the VP of Strategic Growth
- Ensures completeness in core team deliverables, such as the production of data science repeatability documentation, monitoring environments, proper experiment construction, and other core Data Science outputs
- Implements internal team and cross-functional processes that streamline execution
- Works to develop version control processes (git, svn), and implements unit/integration testing and code review standards
- Works with the team to research, evaluate, test, and implement new models and statistical methods in their overall data science environment
- Collaborates closely with the Business Intelligence, Engineering, and Partner Solutions team at Even to ensure proper rollout of Data Science deliverables.
- Proven experience in a technology driven start-up
- Experience working on a search or recommendation engine that has been deployed at scale
- Strong business communication skills (ability to communicate business value and impact), creative problem-solving and intellectual curiosity
- Extensive experience working with engineers and product managers to decide what data to collect and how to collect it, to enable the data science team downstream
- Must have a high level of business acumen to make risk-assessed decisions, and work mostly autonomously to execute these decisions with limited oversight.
- Previous experience managing a team, and ability to work well in a team and provide constructive feedback and ongoing mentorship
- Creates a culture of inclusion and curiosity, while balancing execution quality with speed to market
- Ability to decompose large, complex problems into smaller actionable parts
- High proficiency in python, SQL, and scala
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math/Finance, Physics, Applied Economics, Statistics or other technical field preferred or relevant experience (5+ years)
- Experience with data infrastructure and systems (e.g. analyzing and computing data at scale with tools such as Spark, MapReduce, Hive, Presto, Redshift, etc.)
- Experience building and explaining the differences of various machine learning models such as logistic, multi-armed bandits, neural nets, etc.
- You have a sense of humor
Location: On-site in New York, NY based office. Relocation considered.
If you’re the right candidate, we want to hear from you!
Full Time Employees Are Eligible For The Following Benefits
- A comprehensive medical/dental/vision package provided through Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield. Life and disability insurance are also included.
- Enrollment in our 401K plans. Once you are enrolled in the plan, you can change your contributions rate or opt out at any time.
- Stock option program
- Eight company paid holidays for the 2019 calendar year. Paid time off (PTO) is uncapped, should it be in accordance with the Company’s policy, which will be outlined during New Hire Orientation.
- A subsidized gym membership with ClassPass
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1