EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. They are the leader in their field due to their cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. They are looking for the best. If you are too, they encourage you to explore their unique opportunities.
Machine Learning Data Scientist
Machine Learning plays a key role in the products, services and technologies EIS offers to their customers. They are looking for a talented ML Data Scientist that will be responsible for executing EIS’s strategy to deliver new ML and AI capabilities to their products, and enhance the end-user experience, while augmenting their market presence and position. This exciting opportunity is a critical balance of communicating, driving and orchestrating the vision leading to real high value product and service outcomes. It includes developing the algorithms, applications, and platforms that will deliver positive change to their customers.
In This Role You Will
- Work with cross-functional teams, have exposure and visibility to senior leaders, and be able to make significant technical and business impact
- Stay up-to-date on the latest ML research (actively reading research papers, blogs, etc.) and ML-related development products and tools
- Start with the voice of the customer (VoC) and user from outside the company to the rest of their organization
- Be familiar with market research design thinking methodologies
- Cultivate relationships across a broad set of business functions and business units
- There are two primary work streams in the AIML group:
- Take a hands-on role architecting, coding, developing and deploying ML solutions to deliver a variety of high business value projects
- Act as a Consultant/Mentor; guiding, coaching and inspiring individuals from across the business such that they can architect, develop and deploy ML solutions
Primary Responsibilities Of The ML Data Scientist
- Analyze and understand data; serve as an ML and data subject matter expert (SME) for EIS
- Engineer and code new ML offerings; i.e., training and test sets for new models targeting live client deploy through an enterprise deployment process normally based on arms-length integration through APIs into an AWS cloud environment
- Work closely with business and technical constituents to implement proposed solutions in a collaborative fashion
- Perform research that advances the state-of-the-art of ML
- Introduce industry-leading or academic-based ideas and research to solve complex questions or fuel new business opportunities; design and own ML solutions to complex non-standard problems
- Take the initiative to use ML to solve non-obvious business problems outside of current assignment
- Build prototypes to explore applying ML solutions to EIS opportunities
- Continuously improve high value business targets through experimentation while iterating on existing ML models
- Collaborate effectively with leaders up, down and across the organization in an open, transparent and fact-based manner
- Follow evidence-based processes for evaluating and market-testing new product ideas following Design Thinking and Lean/Agile principles
- Use event storming to accelerate development
- Provide input into, and influence, long range plans (LRPs)
- Collaborate with team to manage, track, and execute features/stories; commit to what can be accomplished in an iteration, and ensure quality delivery expectations are met
- Manage A/B testing to provide feedback on systems making use of ML services; monitor the quality of the ML systems
- Adhere to technology best practices
- Demonstrate ownership of developed components from development through production
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 2 years of work or educational experience in ML or AI
- 1 year of relevant work experience, including software development
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Python or R or Java, and a nice to have C/C++
- General knowledge of ML, ML Tooling (specifically, but not limited to AWS SageMaker, MLFlow etc.)
- General knowledge of data wrangling/preparation and data analysis
- General knowledge of scalable systems
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related technical field
- Experience with one or more of the following: Natural Language Processing (NLP), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Natural Language Generation (NLG) in terms of text understanding, classification, pattern recognition, recommendation systems, targeting systems, ranking systems or similar
- In-depth knowledge of ML algorithms: how they work, their proper use cases, their limitations, etc.
- Ability to code algorithms presented in research papers in order to test out new discoveries
- Hands-on experience with Cloud services (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google etc.)
- Experience in Agile methodology, Enterprise Agile, LESS, DA(D) or SAFe
- Drive: takes initiative, persists in the face of obstacles, and is driven to succeed. Cares about EBSCO’s success and inspires others with thirst for excellence.
- Positive Attitude: displays a ‘can do’ attitude; takes action to solve problems, achieve success, and make a real difference.
- Eagerness to Understand: seeks to understand our strategy, markets, customers and suppliers. Understands how work relates to company goals to make improvements consistent with these goals. Follows facts and draws logical conclusions even if those conclusions differ from the status quo.
- Sound Judgement: uses logic and common sense to make sound decisions despite ambiguity. Identifies root causes and gets beyond treating symptoms to solving problems.
- Collaboration: collaborates with others to help maximize work accomplished by the group and shares information broadly so that everyone benefits. Embraces individuals’ different styles and finds time to help colleagues.
- Open Communication: is concise and articulate in speech and writing; always communicates professionally. Creates a two-way flow of information; keeps others informed and updated so they can operate at their best. Treats people with respect regardless of their views.
- Accountability: proactively does what needs to be done. Acknowledges problems, takes responsibility, determines what can be done to solve the problem, and solves it!
- Trust & Respect: consistently acts in a fair, honest, non-defensive and professional manner. Assumes the best in people and their intent to do the right thing. Takes initiative and learns from mistakes. Is reliable, credible and authentic.
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1