Who They Are
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase their understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. They will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking a machine learning (ML) engineer to develop and productionize ML algorithms and software tools to support research into human aging and aging-related diseases. This person will be part of a cross-functional effort to build a world-class machine learning platform to advance research efforts at Calico, develop novel ML algorithms to solve challenging research questions, and play a critical role in defining and executing Calico’s strategy in computational biology and machine learning. Candidates should be comfortable dealing with various types of biological data or data at a scale such that required methods and tools have yet to be well-developed.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable analyzing data at scale; have experience implementing, extending, and debugging machine learning techniques; and have expertise in designing and building high-leverage data infrastructure and tools. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a strong ability to communicate ideas and results, and to work cross-functionally to execute complex projects.
- Strong background working with machine learning methods and experience in implementing and extending ML algorithms
- Experience developing data infrastructure and tools and familiarity with current large-scale data processing technologies, e.g. TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Strong software engineering skills and substantial expertise in one of Python, R, C/C++, or Java
- Track record of effective communication and collaboration in a cross-functional environment
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
Nice To Haves
- Prior experience in processing biological or chemoinformatic datasets and/or some background in biology or chemistry
- Public recognition in the field, e.g. via scientific publications or success in online competitions
- Ph.D. in Computer Science with specialization in machine learning or artificial intelligence
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1