Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance – A Fortune 100 Company!
Apply your data science talents to analyze massive amounts of data and text to help Liberty Mutual manage its litigation spend. As a modeler in the Legal Strategic Services (LSS) department, you will use advanced statistical techniques to build decision support tools that help our clients across all of Liberty Mutual’s SBUs.
The legal world is in the midst of a data science revolution. The Liberty Mutual Legal department has been on the forefront of Legal Analytics for years and has seen the substantial benefits of applying advanced analytics, including predictive modeling and text mining, to legal data. We are looking for a talented data scientist to help us manage litigation on behalf of policyholders ranging from individual consumers through Fortune 100 corporations.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with a team of data scientists and analysts. You will apply tools such as machine learning algorithms and NLP to sophisticated modeling projects aimed at revealing the drivers of litigation cost and related outcomes. The models you develop will help us continually improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Liberty Mutual’s litigation management. You will also work closely with our internal clients across the Legal and SBU Claims organizations to foster collaboration and communication regarding their ongoing analytic needs.
Note: This is a range posting — Grade 16/17, based on experience.
- Develop predictive and explanatory models that help improve litigation management.
- Conduct text mining analysis to extract meaningful data from large volumes of unstructured text.
- Perform all data preparation and exploratory data analysis steps, including extraction of target data from multiple databases, integration of datasets, creation of derived variables, applying business rules, and quality control checks.
- Lead testing and implementation of predictive models.
- Collaborate closely with other members of the LSS Legal Analytics and Data Science team and the Liberty Mutual Data Science community.
- Work with clients, LSS Analytics and Reporting teams, and Legal IT to gather business requirements and develop specifications for data requests and reports, and to coordinate priorities.
- Manage and execute all aspects of analytic initiatives, including developing project plans. Determine and implement analysis approach. Present methodology and intermediate as well as final results of analysis to a broad range of audiences at all levels of the organization.
- Research, recommend, and implement new and/or alternative approaches to claims litigation analysis and new algorithms, languages, packages, and statistical tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, or any quantitative discipline with relevant work experience, required; advanced degree a definite plus.
- Significant professional experience applying quantitative analysis and modeling to solving real-world business problems.
- Experience in predictive analytics including real-world experience in model validation, testing and deployment.
- Adept at framing business questions and practices in analytic terms, and translating business requirements into corresponding datasets, analyses, models, reports, and presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated proficiency in R, SAS, or other statistical analysis tools, as well as advanced Excel features (preferably with VBA), required.
- Experience in big data tools including Spark, Python, Pig, Java, or Hive preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in other analytic software tools such as Cognos, SQL, Hyperion, Tableau, etc., preferred.
- Experience applying text mining and NLP techniques on large unstructured data preferred.
- Ability to perform high-level work both independently and collaboratively as a project team member or leader.
Benefits: We recognize that talented people are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay, comprehensive benefits packages and outstanding advancement opportunities. For this reason we offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan that includes the following:
- 401K and Company paid pension plan
- Medical coverage
- Dental coverage
- Paid time-off
- Discounts on automobile and homeowner’s insurance
- Discount fitness memberships
- Flexible spending accounts
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care coverage
- Work/Life resources
- Credit Union membership
- Employee and Dependent life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
Overview: We believe strongly that commercial success can be achieved in a manner consistent with principles and ideals that bind us together as one company, that set us apart from our competitors, and that in the end will allow us to say we have succeeded commercially by doing the right thing the right way. We believe that the Company’s success is inextricably linked to our employees’ satisfaction and success: satisfaction that they work for an industry leader committed to improving safety, satisfaction that they work for a company that does the right thing, and satisfaction that the company will reward them for their contributions and provide opportunities for personal growth and success. We believe our employees take pride in knowing that they help people live safer more secure lives everyday. Responsibility. What’s your policy?
Job: Primary Location: United States- Massachusetts-Boston
Bachelor’s Degree (±16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1