They’re looking for a Senior BI Engineer to join the Business Intelligence (BI) team with the Finance Tribe. The BI team owns the analytical data pipeline which is based on the real-time Financial General Ledger and is the foundation of their internal and external financial reporting, serving the needs of teams within Finance including Business Reporting, Regulatory Reporting, Tax, and FP&A.
What You’ll Be Doing
At TransferWise, they’ve got a clear mission — money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives. It is barely possible to achieve a mission without making data-driven decisions across the board at TransferWise. Decisions should rely on financially compliant, reliable, and timely data so that our customers, regulators, investors can trust them to be sustainable. As Senior BI Engineer your role will be to own the technical and logical aspects of the pipeline from vision down to execution and build the technical bridge between product teams and key stakeholders who rely on the data on hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly cadence to make wise decisions.
At TransferWise people and teams get a ton of freedom and autonomy. By taking it together with other team members you’ll need to:
- Own the BI data pipeline – you are responsible for the technical and logical vision of the pipeline, growing and adjusting of its components based on the needs of data users and other stakeholders
- Through design, analysis, and logical modeling, you’ll be building a solid understanding of each component of the streaming-like data pipeline
- Hands-on involvement in the day-to-day building of the pipeline, driving initial development and later engaging with engineering on implementation of more scalable and performance components of the pipeline
- Create data-driven indicators of the pipeline operational efficiency, usage of the outputs, and quality of the data in the pipeline
- Be an important part of quarterly planning sessions, helping set a strategy and vision for how the team can achieve the highest impact by advancing the BI technical ecosystem and enabling cross-team collaboration.
Due to COVID-19 they are currently working remotely but have access to the office on a reduced capacity. The Finance team is spread across several locations in Europe while stakeholders work across the globe – from Brazil to Australia. To be successful in the role it is essential to be ready to work across time zones and cultures.
This Role Will Give You The Opportunity To
- Make an impact – you will have an opportunity to shape the financial data of one of the fastest-growing fintech companies in Europe
- Own your own path to success – you’ll have a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Expand your skills and develop for the future – build an efficient analytical data pipeline reporting and gain more experience that will allow you to grow with Finance as well as the wider TransferWise team
- Work in an international Finance Team and learn a lot about finance, financial technology, and driving financial sustainability of a fast-growing company
The Experience You’ll Need
- You have 5+ years of experience as a technical data analyst, BI analyst/data engineer in business-facing teams
- You have very strong SQL skills, building experience in Python, and knowledge of streaming principles.
- You have experience with data warehouse, data lake, and enterprise big data platforms in multi-terabyte environments.
- You have at least 3 years of experience doing schema design, metadata management, data modeling, and related tools (Erwin or ER Studio or others).
- You have worked on at least 1 project having a streaming analytics stack using Kafka, Druid, or similar technologies.
- You have solid experience in business domains (preferably Finance) and instead of waiting for a task can propose and define flexible, but scalable data models and pipelines without necessarily having the full context from stakeholders
- You are flexible in the set of technologies you use now and can drive gradual transformation into the different technological stack
- You’ve worked with minimal direction and are strong in structuring your approach to data pipeline design.
- You can communicate vision, ideas, insights in a clear and structured manner both verbally and in writing
Bonus Points For
- previous experience in working with JAVA development teams
- knowledge of technologies such as Kafka, Hadoop, and similar
- worked extensively with PostgreSQL, Snowflake, Airflow
- have knowledge of BI tools (e.g. Looker, Periscope, or Metabase) and visualization tools (e.g. PowerBI or Tableau)
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1