They are Zego, a global insurtech scale-up providing cover that creates possibilities. In an ever-changing world, insurance is struggling to keep up. Through the power of emerging technologies, they are creating fairer products designed for the 21st century.
In 2019, they closed their Series B funding round, raising $42M from top-tier investors that will fuel their growth into new territories and the expansion of their product portfolio. They were also listed in the Fintech 50 and placed number 7 in the Startups 100. More recently, they were accepted into the Tech Nation Future 50 2020 cohort and medium-sized and a Tech Company of the Year 2020 finalist – solidifying their place as one of the UK’s most exciting and influential tech companies.
Overview Of Their Engineering Team
Zego puts technology first in its mission to define the future of the insurance industry. By focusing on their customers’ needs they’re building the flexible and sustainable insurance products and services that they deserve. And they do that by empowering a diverse, resourceful, and creative team of world-class engineers that thrive on opportunity and innovation.
Purpose of the Role
They are looking for a Data Engineer to help us build and improve a leading-edge data analytics platform.
Their core application is built on top of the Django web framework and hosted on Amazon Web Services. They typically use Python 3, Postgres, Celery, and whatever else they need to get the job done.
They maintain both custom integrations (for ETL workloads) and use 3rd party tools (for ELT workloads) that are scheduled by Airflow, loaded into a Redshift cluster and modelled using Data Build Tool (DBT) and Looker (LookML). They’re looking for people with a strong background in Python who are comfortable modelling data and writing performant SQL.
As a Data Engineer at Zego, you will have the opportunity to
- Work on a large, critical data platform – learn how to develop and optimize raw data structures for high load transactional systems.
- Deep-dive into new and emerging technologies – they support a modern technology stack, utilising best-in-breed tools and advanced features of PostgreSQL, Redshift, AWS as well as working closely with their wider python engineering team.
- Have a real positive impact on the company, product, users, and very importantly your colleagues as well.
What You Will Be Working On
- You will assist in developing and maintaining their ETL and ELT pipelines.
- You will support the development and implementation of their ML models and experiments.
- You will help evolve the architecture of their data function to support their long term vision.
- You will contribute to code reviews and team discussions.
- You will take ownership of their reporting tools, both internal and for their partners.
- You will collaborate with product managers and across teams to bring new products and features to the market.
- You will help own product data in a “single source of truth” data platform, focusing on data structure, quality, usage, and efficiency.
What you will need to be successful in the Role
They are looking for somebody with a strong working knowledge of data architecture and development.
- You will either have past experience with tools like Docker, Airflow, Redshift, DBT, or Looker. Or an interest in learning these, with the support of the team, is essential.
- They’re looking for people with a commitment to building, nurturing, and iterating on an ever-evolving codebase.
Other Beneficial Skills Include
- Familiarity with Kubernetes (EKS)
- Having experience building a Data Lake (on AWS)
- Having experience building highly available publish/subscribe messaging queue systems
What’s it like to work at Zego?
Zego has a truly international and inclusive team, unified by great ideas and collaborative thoughtfulness. Their people are the most important part of their story and everyone plays an essential role in our journey. They look for people who have expertise, enthusiasm, and who are motivated by change. There’s plenty of room to learn and grow, as part of their ongoing training programs or directly from other experts. You’ll work alongside a talented group of people who respect each other’s differences and seek to understand fresh perspectives.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1