They’re looking for a senior data scientist who is passionate about making a positive difference in the world.
Published 3rd September 2019
- Full-time, in-house
1 The ProblemType 2 diabetes and obesity are huge problems, both for the millions of people that suffer from lifestyle diseases, as well as healthcare systems like the NHS.
In the UK they spend almost 10% of the NHS budget on treating type 2 diabetes alone (£9 billion/year). What’s shocking is almost all of this is avoidable, 80-90% in fact.
How? Through sustained lifestyle and weight loss. It sounds so simple, but in reality is much harder to achieve at scale.
2 OurPathOurPath provide a digital lifestyle improvement programme that is proven to help people improve their lifestyle and lose weight, which ultimately reduces their risk for conditions such as type 2 diabetes.
The programme incorporates evidence-based education, health coaches, peer group support, and digital tracking tools. Everything is delivered digitally through phone and web apps.
The quickest way to understand what they do is watch this very short 1 min animation: https://vimeo.com/199648301
They were the first digital behavioural change programme to be commissioned by the NHS – they’re now expanding rapidly having won a few big national contracts (both in diabetes prevention and management).
Alongside their NHS work, they also offer the programme directly to consumers – you can buy the programme on their website if you’re looking to make a healthy lifestyle change and lose weight. Their direct-to-consumer channel is essentially a competitor to the likes of Weight Watchers and Slimming World.
About them: They are now a team of 50 – consisting of ex-strategy consultants, dietitians, designers, and developers. They believe OurPath is a fun place to work with an informal, non-bureaucratic, and agile working environment. Finally, they will provide endless amounts of poor jokes and sub-standard humour. Just so you know.
Some of their national press:
TechCrunch – https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/10/ourpath-raises-3m-in-round-led-by-connect-ventures-to-reverse-type-2-diabetes/?guccounter=1
Wired – https://www.wired.co.uk/article/ourpath-diabetes-app-roche-nhs-partnership
3 The roleThey are looking for a senior data scientist, not only to help them build and grow their product but also their data team.
What you’ll do:
- Help junior analysts deliver insightful analysis to discover areas of opportunity that shape the product roadmap.
- Lead the development of new data-driven product features.
- Work with product to design and analyse product tests.
- Work with engineering to ensure that good ETL processes are in place to deliver clean and accurate data to team members.
- Collaborate with members of all teams to ensure that data is easily accessible to answer business decisions and drive the decision-making process.
4 Person SpecificationRequired:
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages
- Coding knowledge and experience with several languages (Python/R required)
- Experience in Machine Learning applications
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Strong knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
- Experience managing a team of data analysts/scientists.
5 What can they offer you?
- You’ll be able to provide direct input into how they should improve their product and the development of OurPath.
- You’ll get to work with amazing, friendly, smart colleagues all incredibly passionate about solving the type 2 diabetes epidemic.
- You’ll have autonomy and responsibility for your work direction; they also offer a flexible working environment where you can work from home when you need to.
- They have regular company-sponsored socials (pub drinks, team dinners, board games and movie nights) that’ll allow you to catch up and make friends outside of your team.
- They all have a thirst for knowledge and have regular Lunch&Learn sessions to help them expand their knowledge base; the product team also get together and run quarterly Hackathons.
6 To ApplyThis position is available to start immediately, so please send your CV and cover letter via this application page: https://workable.com/j/B45EE2ECED
They’ll be interviewing on a rolling basis, so the quicker you can apply the better.
If Ben doesn’t respond within 7 days then he’s not intentionally being rude but please assume it’s probably a no for now.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1