- Lead technical projects with high impact on sales growth, business profitability, client retention, and customer satisfaction
- Develops and implements analytics-enabled solutions to improve business process, to generate insights, support business goals, and strategy development
- Oversee the analytics data environment and continuously facilitate onboarding of additional sources, and participate in simplifying structures by using appropriate engineering methods
- Participate in managing a complex data model, data delivery across the organization, as well as automate processes and tasks across all systems and sources
- Able to generate relevant, actionable insights based on iterative data analysis, translate the data-driven output into business language, and to make appropriate recommendations to respective business stakeholders
- Recommends implementable solutions to (or in collaboration with) business partners.
- Independently provide analysis on datasets of significant complexity.
- Innovate & find creative ways to source & leverage data (structured and unstructured) to support modeling efforts
- Manage standards, best-practices, and conversations at the Global Data Office
- Owns and delivers projects of diverse scope. Oversees the work of more junior data scientists.
- Provide expertise on all data concepts for the broader advanced analytics group, and inspire the adoption of advanced analytics, data engineering and data science across the organization
- Strong ability to construct a systematic process to implement analytics insights and solutions, this includes (but not limited to):
- designing a process with multiple relevant parties with clear specifications of roles and responsibilities
- identifying required tasks, system/data flow, and contingency
- specifying check-and-balance throughout the process
- establishing rigorous tracking and closed-loop learning
- implement such a process in a scalable way
Education, Experience & Skills
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in Computer Science/Information Systems, or a quantitative discipline
- Five plus years in a data science role focused on building models, maintaining databases, and developing software for quantitative analysis in a data-driven environment
- Experience building interfaces for front end data delivery
- Expert in basic and advanced statistical tests, distributions, maximum likelihood estimators, statistical modeling techniques (XGBoost, regression, cluster/factor / principal components, decision tree, survival analysis, etc.)
- Experience in data orchestration, workflow management, modular software development
- Knowledge of Enterprise Data Lake, NoSQL systems, Hadoop/map-reduce, Spark, etc.
- Strong interest in interactive reporting and web apps development
- Strong commitment to organizational success and teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely
- Experience in investments, sales, distribution, and/or marketing highly desirable
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – AA/F/M/D/V
If you are ready to unleash your potential, it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. They strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers they serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. They are committed to fair recruitment, retention, and advancement and they administer all of their practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground. It is their priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.