The Sr. Data Scientist will lead work on analysis of Multi-Cancer Early Detection (MCED) and other disease data based on the company’s proprietary technology. In this role, you will be responsible for the development and testing of statistical models for disease detection purposes. Biological Dynamics is taking a holistic approach to detecting disease at the earliest stages by integrating our blood-based multi-omic test as well as clinical and phenotypical information. This role is essential to the overall company strategy as you will work closely with Biological Dynamics’ research and development, laboratory operations, product management and clinical departments.
Essential Job Duties
- Spearheads the development of statistical models for early disease detection, based on novel biomarker information as well as clinical covariates and other phenotypical data.
- Demonstrates strong command of relevant biostatistical, machine learning (ML) and deep learning literature. Select and apply best-in-class methodologies, making well-supported modifications or additions to improve performance.
- Pursues research projects and applications on statistical and ML methods and applications while also prioritizing the transition to production use.
- Partners with R&D, Medical Affairs, and Commercial teams to align model performance characteristics with those most likely to be impactful for real life clinical assays.
- Partners with data teams in developing algorithms for multi-omics data, to maximize performance for clinical/molecular classifiers.
- Presents novel scientific results at conferences and in peer-reviewed scientific journals (when consistent with the company’s or external partners’ trade secret, intellectual property, and product development strategies).
- Guides strategy and champion the execution of our intellectual property portfolio, publications, external partnerships, and product development plans.
- Provides actionable technical guidance to team members and collaborators, while also empowering and inspiring them to do their best work.
- Builds consensus and gains support of key stakeholders. Coordinates across and within the organization to determine the appropriate resources and parameters to complete projects in the most-efficient manner. Is a driver of change and decision-making within the department; contributions are essential to the department and company’s objectives. Ensures a high degree of quality in the department’s work. Demonstrates group-wide influence and scientific/technical competence, in addition to having a strong business-sense as it relates to the needs and requirements at Biological Dynamics.
- Typically requires a minimum of 11 years of related experience and a Bachelor’s and/or a minimum of 9 years and a Master’s degree, and/or PhD in a relevant quantitative discipline such as statistics, biostatistics, bioinformatics, or compute science with at least 5 years of post-PhD experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise in successful application of biostatistical and ML techniques to practical problems demonstrated by industry achievements or peer-reviewed publications in life sciences/diagnostics/biotechnology.
- Proficiency in implementation and deep understanding of complex statistical or ML models in a general-purpose programming language.
- Fluency in a statistical programming language such as R and/or Python (Python is highly preferred) as well as database query languages such as SQL.
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms (Azure, AWS, GCP) and cloud-based ML platforms such as Azure ML, SageMaker or Google AI.
- Demonstrates advanced scientific/technical expertise and implementing innovative solutions. Regularly collaborates with others and provides independent thought and strategy for large scope solutions. Proactively contributes to and possesses a high level of understanding of product requirements, industry needs, and patent applications. Anticipates potential complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation. Has a reputation as an emerging technical expert and mentor with sustained performance and accomplishments. Has the ability to present in both national and international conferences.
- Must be able to understand job duties and responsibilities, have the necessary skills/knowledge, and be willing and able to continue learning and growing within the field.
- Must be nimble and comfortable with rapidly changing priorities and responsibilities.
- Must be skilled at managing a significant workload and obtaining successful results, taking on additional responsibility and managing priorities as needed.
- Must be proactive and effective in achieving solutions and using data to achieve results.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to produce accurate, punctual reports/information, as required, and thoroughly share information with others. Must be able to read, write and speak effectively.
- Exceptional listening skills with the ability to seek constructive feedback, build relationships, promote teamwork, and remain flexible, humble, and open-minded.
- Capable of following realistic plans, goal setting, resource management, contingency planning, coordinating, and cooperating with others.
- Capable of working thoughtfully under pressure and in a timely manner.
- Must be comfortable and capable of performing the job within the physical requirements and conditions necessary for the role.
The estimated base salary range for this role is: $160K – $190K per year. Compensation decisions are dependent on several factors including, but not limited to, an individual’s qualifications, location where the role is to be performed, internal equity, and alignment with market data. Additionally we offer a wide range of benefits including health and welfare benefits, retirement benefits, and paid time off. The health and well-being of our employees is of utmost importance. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, Biological Dynamics may require proof of COVID vaccination in accordance with local statutory requirements (subject to limited exceptions).
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1