Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. They build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee – whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 – you’ll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
Etsy is an international marketplace with 65M+ handmade and vintage items from passionate artists, designers, and vintage collectors. The Recommendations and Personalization (PersoEng) enables product teams across Etsy to understand, personalize, and rank recommendations that they present to buyers.
Etsy is looking for an experienced machine learning engineer who can help build Etsy’s next-generation capabilities for the candidate generation. Their Recommendations and Personalization (PersoEng) enables product teams across Etsy to understand, personalize, and rank recommendations that they present to buyers.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Applied Science Manager, Recommendations. For this role, Etsy is considering candidates based in the US who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of the team. Learn more about the flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- The Retrieval team builds capabilities to select relevant item candidates to help product teams to provide personalized user experiences.
- Etsy uses machine learning algorithms to train models which can be used to choose relevant personalized candidate sets for their recommendation engine.
What’s the day-to-day look like?
- Build and contribute at all levels of Etsy’s machine learning stack, ranging from application interfaces to the serving layer
- Work closely with applied scientists to scale ML solutions across knowledge base, e.g. NLP, deep learning, representation learning, graph-based learning, and structured data
- Work closely and collaboratively with various engineering teams participating in design, prioritization, and implementation
- Enable building rich, semantic understanding of Etsy’s users and the various kinds of content and inventory in Etsy’s marketplace
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- You understand that being an effective engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- You are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
- You can tackle unconstrained problems and know when to seek help.
- You are flexible with languages and tools and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done.
- You have experience with object-oriented programming languages: Python, Scala, etc.
- You have success in turning ideas into deeply reliable and well-tested code with an eye towards maintainability and scalability.
- You have a successful track record of collaborating with machine learning scientists, product managers, data analysts, and designers.
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in building production search, recommendations, advertising, knowledge base (structured data), or general e-commerce systems.
- Experience using the following frameworks: Spark Scala, Airflow, Kubflow, Tensorflow, TF Serving
- An M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or related fields, with 3+ years of industry experience
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1