Further develop and challenge your career with one of the world’s foremost leaders in diverse consumer robotics. We are continually creating robotic products that improve, and enhance lives.
We are currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer focused on sustaining engineering at iRobot who has expertise in investigative methods, design for high volume manufacturing, use of plastics and other commodity materials, engineering analysis, and global manufacturing. In this role, the Principal Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for supporting existing consumer robotic platforms in platform advancement, issue resolution, and product improvement.
- Drive improvements to existing product platforms in the areas of design efficiency, DFM/DFA, reliability, etc.
- Investigate production line issues or fielded product issues to determine root cause and to implement solutions
- Assess in-production product to identify opportunities for cost reduction; execute cost reduction initiatives including design, documentation, validation, and production phase-in
- Lead sub-teams of varied engineering and technical backgrounds
- Analyze, research, and resolve multi-variate and tightly constrained technical issues
- Create clever, practical solutions using robust engineering practices
- Identify, manage, and mitigate technical risks
- Generate mechanical layouts and detailed part designs using 3-D CAD and analysis tools
- Verify and validate design solutions utilizing rapid prototyping and conventional prototyping methodologies
- Integrate seamlessly across business disciplines: systems, operations, quality, product management, industrial design, and product marketing throughout product life cycle
- Present the details of Sustaining Engineering work to engineering and business leadership
- Provide critical feedback in detailed mechanical and mechanism design, product definition, systems test and data analysis
- Train and mentor other engineers in best practices and engineering fundamentals
- BS in Mechanical Engineering (Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering, preferred)
- Minimum 7 years experience in mechanical design (2-5 years in injection molded plastics part and mechanical systems design, preferred)
- Strong leadership, organizational, communication and prioritization skills
- Strong design fundamentals and first principles analytical and product definition methods
- Strong CAD skillset (Pro-E/Creo, preferred)
- Product Data Management familiarization, model-driven BOM (PTC Windchill, preferred)
- Expertise in assessment of part variation and use of tolerance analysis to predict assembly outcomes
- Finite element analysis familiarization preferred
- Familiarization with risk ranking and risk management tools (DFMEA, RRCA, Six Sigma, preferred)
- Working knowledge of high volume manufacturing practices
- Understanding of engineering methodology for product reliability and associated validation testing
- Design integration experience with industrial design, user experience, and ergonomics
- High energy, and rewarding team environment
- Modern office, with cafeteria, gym, and free electric car charging.
- State-of-the-art on-site rapid prototyping, machine shop and test lab capabilities.
- Minimal domestic travel required. Overseas travel to Hong Kong and adjacent China mainland occasionally (one to three times per year, typically one week at a time), with more frequent travel to Far East required when approaching a complex production start (typically up to one week per month for three months).
- Consumer Electronics
- Defense & Space
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1