They seek outstanding applicants for full-time researcher positions at Microsoft Research NYC. They are hiring in the areas of Computational Social Science; Economics and Computation and Microeconomics; Fairness, Accountability, Transparency, and Ethics in AI (FATE); and Systems. They seek junior as well as more experienced applicants, with the passion and ability to craft and pursue an independent research program. They encourage candidates with both theoretical and applied interests to apply.
Microsoft Research NYC offers an exhilarating and supportive environment for cutting-edge research, both theoretical and applied, with access to an extraordinary diversity of big and small data sources, an open publication policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world. They are particularly proud of the interdisciplinary work that MSR-NYC has been able to foster, and welcome applications from those interested in working across disciplines. For more information on the lab’s members and their interests, see the lab’s webpage.
As a community, they are committed to building an inclusive, diverse, and pluralistic research environment. They work collectively to make MSR a welcoming and conducive space for all researchers.
A Complete Application Packet Should Include
- A cover letter, indicating the focus area(s) the applicant is relevant to, and emphasizing potential connections and synergies with the lab. 1-2 paragraphs usually suffice.
- CV, which lists all peer-reviewed publications.
- At least 3 reference letters (typically, one will be from your dissertation advisor)
- Research statement (approximately 3-4 pages) that outlines your research achievements and agenda.
- 2 writing samples: conference or journal articles, book chapters, etc., that you are most proud of and which best demonstrate your expertise.
As a researcher, you can define your own research agenda, driving forward an effective program of basic, fundamental, and applied research. In addition to driving your own research agenda, they highly value collaboration and building new ideas with members of your research group as well as others. You have the direct opportunity to realize your ideas in products and services used worldwide.
- Ph.D. in the relevant field completed or close to completion.
- A strong research program demonstrated by journal and/or conference publications
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
- Strong communication skills
- Demonstrable experience and leadership, such as service on conference program committees, workshop organization, teaching or tutorials, or outreach activities.
- Strong computing skills (for CSS and Systems applicants)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances. They also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1