Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Slack is looking for Senior Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of their systems as they rapidly scale their product and organization. They have backend engineers in almost every team across Slack, and in that role, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company.
They build their app using reliable tools that their team knows and trusts, including PHP/Hack, Java, MySQL, and Linux. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes. They’re a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, frontend, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers to make Slack a better product. They are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
A Taste Of Their Scale And Reach
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day they see over 3.5 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and their systems see over 1 million queries/second in their caching tier.
- They have 8.8M+ app installations with 155,000 weekly active developers building on the developer platform.
- 90% of their paid teams on Slack actively use apps.
This is a full time senior engineering position based in New York City, New York.
What You Will Be Doing
- You’ll brainstorm with Product Managers, Designers and Frontend Engineers to conceptualize and build new features for their large (and growing!) user base.
- You’ll produce high-quality results by leading or contributing heavily to large cross-functional projects that have a significant impact on the business.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll assist their skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues.
- You’ll mentor other engineers and deeply review code.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What You Should Have
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 4+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—they look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In their work together they aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where they learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. They welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. They are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1