Sr. Data Engineer (Sales/Finance – Enterprise Data Warehouse)
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be working cross-functionally with business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to design and implement their Data Warehouse model. You will be working in their Business Technology Data and Analytics function and have an opportunity to build a sound data foundation and processes that will scale with the company’s growth. You will architect, design, implement data pipelines enabling insights from their Product and Corporate Systems for key partners, data scientists and decision makers at Slack. You would also be responsible for enhancing and maintaining their data warehouse.
Data engineers also need to guarantee compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving and operationalizing these integrated and reusable data pipelines. This would enable faster data access, integrated data reuse and vastly improved time-to-solution for Slack’s data and analytics initiatives. The newly hired data engineer will be the key interface in operationalizing data and analytics on behalf of the Finance, Sales, Product and organizational outcomes. This role will require both creative and collaborative working with IT and the wider business.
This is a fun role for problem solvers, who can intuitively anticipate problems and can also look beyond immediate issues. In short, they look for people who take pride in the craft and want to be part of creating and defining the teams operating model and contribution to the company. They will be a self-starter, detail and quality oriented, and passionate about having a huge impact at Slack. If this role has your name written all over it, please contact us with a resume so that we explore further.
- Design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA
- Partner with Data Engineers, Data architects, domain experts, data analysts and other teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements
- Own and document data pipelines and data lineage
- Identify, document and promote best practices
- Support and Maintain analytics tech ecosystem (data warehouse, ETL and BI tools)
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or Engineering discipline.
- At least 8 years or more of work experience in data management disciplines including data integration, modeling, optimization and data quality, and/or other areas directly relevant to data engineering responsibilities and tasks.
- At least 4 years of experience working in cross-functional teams and collaborating with business stakeholders in Sales or Finance in support of a departmental and/or multi-departmental data management and analytics initiative.
- Very strong experience in dimensional modeling, supporting data warehouse, scaling and optimizing, performance tuning and ETL pipelines
- Deep understanding of relational as well as big data setup.
- Preferred: Prior experience with Snowflake, ETL tools (eg Informatica, Matillion, Snaplogic), Hive, Presto, Dimensional Modeling.
- Problem solver with excellent interpersonal skills with ability to make sound complex decisions in a fast-paced, technical environment.
- Ability to work on multiple areas like Data pipeline ETL, Data modeling & design, writing complex SQL queries etc.
- Capable of planning and executing on both short-term and long-term goals individually and with the team.
- Passionate about various technologies including but not limited to SQL/No SQL/MPP databases etc.
- Hands-on experience with Data Warehouse technologies (Snowflake, Redshift) and Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark).
- Proficiency with programming languages is a big plus (e.g. Python).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, able to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners.
- Excellent understanding of trade-offs.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate between big-picture and implementation details.
Slack is a layer of the business technology stack that brings together people, data, and applications – a single place where people can effectively work together, find important information, and access hundreds of thousands of critical applications and services to do their best work. From global Fortune 100 companies to corner markets, businesses and teams of all kinds use Slack to bring the right people together with all the right information. Slack is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has ten offices around the world. For more information on how Slack makes teams better connected, visit slack.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1