Nielsen is the largest measurement company in the world with unique measurement technologies, assets, and data that make it one of the most interesting and challenging places for a data scientist to work. They focus on what consumers watch, listen to, and buy in over 95 countries.
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and their research projects have high visibility in directly affecting the results of their business and their clients. This Senior Data Scientist role in the Digital Product team provides an opportunity to contribute to methodological innovation in the exciting and fast-changing world of digital media measurement.This is an ideal position to grow as a researcher, contribute to innovative products, and develop subject-matter expertise in digital methodology and cross-platform audience measurement.
The local television computations organization focuses on improving, enhancing, and maintaining Nielsen’s highly successful traditional television products out in the marketplace for advertising and content measurement. As part of this exciting team, this position will focus on developing new methodologies to measure audiences across platforms (including on “connected” or “over the top” devices, smart tv’s, or set top boxes) and on evaluating and integrating new data assets and partners into Nielsen’s existing methodologies in order to enhance or expand the data delivered to clients. In addition, the team has responsibility for end-to-end ownership of the continued success of Nielsen’s local television measurement products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Social Science, Operation Research, Mathematics, or Computer Science with outstanding analytical expertise. (Master’s degree preferred)
- 2 to 3 years of experience with one or more of the following: python programming, data manipulation, data integration, weighting, sampling, survey or market research, trend or pattern recognition, statistics, data aggregation techniques, automation, or quality assurance.
- Must be proficient with Python, Spark, or Scala to develop sharable software with the appropriate technical documentation.
- Must be proficient in SQL and large-scale databases.
- Must have ability to manipulate, analyze, interpret large data sources, and tell a story from data through analyses
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have ability to work alone and with a team
- Must have critical thinking skills necessary to evaluate results in order to make decisions
- Must demonstrate intellectual curiosity and persistence to find answers
- Demonstrate interest in Nielsen methodologies, data collection, platforms, research processes and operations.
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire)
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience working with cloud based or big data technologies (e.g. Databricks)
- Proficiency in Unix
- Learn and become an expert in how big data flows through Nielsen systems in order to create reliable data pipelines that will feed into methodology development processes.
- Work with cross-functional teams to implement and validate enhanced audience measurement methodologies.
- Independently write custom Python and SQL code.
- Drive technical solutions to complex business problems. From lightweight automation to designing and building robust/scalable solutions. Strong focus on optimization.
- Key tasks include – but are not limited to – trend analyses, identifying methodological and process improvements, representation/ sampling, bias reduction, indirect estimation, data integration, automation, generalization, data integration, examining large volumes of data, harmonization as well as working with different data sources.
- Pro-actively gather information, as needed, to work independently and with a team.
- Support in detecting and addressing quality escapes.
They’re in tune with what the world is watching, buying, and everything in between. If you can think of it, they’re measuring it. They sift through the small stuff and piece together big pictures to provide a comprehensive understanding of what’s happening now and what’s coming next for their clients. Today’s data is tomorrow’s marketplace revelation.
They like to be in the middle of the action. That’s why you can find them at work in over 100 countries. From global industry leaders to small businesses, consumer goods to media companies, they work with them all. They’re bringing in data 24/7 and the possibilities are endless. See what’s next with them at Nielsen: careers.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. They are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1