It is a full management role. You’ll be the lead for a subset of teams above on the data science side, with several data science managers and dozens of individual contributors reporting to you. You’ll be working closely with engineering, product, and cross-org stakeholders to create, align, and execute the direction of product development. You’ll be crafting the technical vision for the teams, from foundational work on data and metrics to advanced modeling architectures that lift the understanding of data science across the board and guide the teams for years into the future. You’ll be communicating such technical vision to the leadership team in your organization and beyond. You’ll be building strong data science teams with the managers, by providing performance management, technical leadership, and professional development to all members in your teams.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with leads from engineering and product to develop roadmaps, and drive the planning, execution, and review of such roadmaps. Communicate the roadmaps to the leadership team.
- Work closely with upstream and downstream stakeholders to align on product/model/algorithm iteration, and facilitate the collaboration between teams.
- Create long term technical vision for the team on data science foundations and advanced models.
- Build a strong data science team by hiring and mentoring. Provide technical and professional guidance, mentorship, and people management for the managers and individual contributors in your team.
- Provide technical and leadership feedback and guidance to the broader data science community in the company.
- Improve the understanding of data science and data-driven product development across the organization and Uber.
What You’ll Need
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines.
- 10+ years of experience in data science-related fields. 5+ years of experience in peoples management. Experience in managing a large team of data scientists (20+) and managers (5+).
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, experimentation, machine learning, and analytics. Hands-on experience in developing and prototyping machine learning and statistical models.
- Coding proficiency and ability to develop statistical analysis and algorithm prototyping in Python or R. Proficiency in Java is a plus. Proficiency with real-time production engineering stack is a plus.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Passionate about Uber’s problem space, motivating, truth-seeking, holding high technical bars, and empathetic.
About The Team
The Rides Platform DS team includes Maps, Uber AI, Marketplace Health, Marketplace Forecasting, Fares.
These teams are responsible for powering the core trip experiences externally and core decision making systems internally. They make sure riders and drivers can enjoy their experiences on Uber’s platform seamlessly.
- The mapping platform provides all the ETA, routeline, navigation, display, origin and destination setting. These outputs are used throughout a trip cycle, from key decision systems such as pricing and matching, and core trip experiences such as pickup, dropoff, and navigation experiences.
- The experimentation platform which powers all Uber’s A/B and market-level experiments.
- The metrics platform which is the home to the core business metrics. For example, these metrics are used in setting up the company-level OKR.
- The forecasting platform which provides real-time, mid-term, and long-term forecasting to key inputs into decision systems such as pricing and incentives.
- The fares platform which powers the fares experiences for both rider and drivers while maintaining the accuracy, consistency, and transparency.
- The intelligence team provides the best understanding of Uber’s competitive position through internal and external data.
- Salary Offer 0 ~ $3000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Dropdown field Option 1