Data scientists at Etsy use rigorous methods to generate insights that inform product, engineering, and business decisions across the company. They collaborate with partner teams through all stages of development: actively uncovering opportunity areas, crafting experiments to test hypotheses, analyzing the impact of the efforts, and highlighting takeaways.
In This Role You Will
- Transform raw data into impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance/documentation, rigorous techniques, and actionable recommendations.
- Partner with product, engineering, design teams; use behavioral and transactional data to shed light on the users and the product experience, identify areas for improvement, and drive decision-making.
- Identify impactful metrics to understand the performance of products, develop reporting dashboards to track progress, and ingrain these metrics into teams’ day-to-day decision-making.
- Lead experimentation, help teams set strong hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results.
- Raise the skill level of the entire analytics team through the creation of outstanding work, mentorship, and the introduction of better practices, processes, and tools.
Ideally You’ll Bring
- 6+ years experience in a data scientist or data analyst role in which you extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support. A PhD in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, or related field is preferred.
- Experience guiding product teams to identify high-impact opportunities, setting meaningful goals against key outcomes, and driving decisions. Experience working with Ads and/or Machine Learning focused product teams is a plus!
- Mastery of SQL and either R or Python, and excitement around trying new approaches to advance your technical skills. Bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem and Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software.
- Deep understanding of experimentation theory and practice.
- Desire to advance your technical skills and to apply new analytical methods to impactful questions.
- Ability to distill highly complex problems into narratives that are concise, actionable, and memorable, and express your recommendations with both conviction and finesse.
- Experience acting as a mentor, guiding others to make their own work better and more efficient.
At Etsy, they believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes them a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. They encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.